Thursday, April 4, 2024

2nd of April - Port Erin and Castletown

We started the day with a 15½ mile trip on the Isle of Man Steam Railway from Douglas to Port Erin.  The Isle of Man Steam Railway was opened in 1873 and is the longest narrow gauge steam line in Britain that still uses its original locomotives and carriages.

The flag of the Isle of Man or flag of Mann is a triskelion, composed of three armoured legs with golden spurs, upon a red background. This has been replicated as a decoration on a cappuccino someone had in the station café.

Afterwards we walked around Port Erin and ended our visit in a hostelry.


We then reboarded the Isle of Man Steam Railway back to Castletown which is the former capital of the Isle of Man. Castletown can trace its roots back to 1090. The town has narrow streets and small fishing cottages.


Castle Rushen was originally built in 1265 for a Norse king.  It was then fortified and added to between the 13th and 16th centuries.  The castle has been used as a fortress, a residence for the Kings and Lords of Mann, the site of a mint and even a prison. The town and castle were the site of a number of sieges and battles, especially during the years when control of the island passed between the Norse, Scots and English.  Robert the Bruce laid siege to and captured the castle three times.

No comments:

Post a Comment